Swiss Meringue Buttercream Recipe- This is an elaborate frosting with multiple steps but turns any cake into something special!
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
A special frosting for your beautiful cakes and cupcakes like these "Soft Serve" cupcakes
- 5 large egg white at room temperature
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 500 grams butter at room temperature
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine egg whites, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over simmering water and whisk until sugar has dissolved. Takes 2-3 minutes. You want the mixture to be hot and not feel gritty between your fingers
- Transfer to a stand mixer with whisk attachment. start on low speed and gradually increasing to med/high during the first minute, Beat mixture until stiff glossy peaks form. This will take 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low/med and gradually add tablespoons of butter. Beating well between each addition. Don't worry if it looks curdled but just keep adding butter, it will become smooth.
- Add vanilla and beat until combined
- At this stage, switch to paddle attachment for 2 minutes to remove air bubbles
- Use immediately, makes about 5 cups