Melt mouthy topping
Meringue for pie
Pie meringue is thick and fluffy , a perfect melt-in-the mouth topping
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp caster sugar
- Allow egg whites to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large mixing bowl of stand mixer combine egg whites, vanilla and cream tartar .
- Beat with whisk attachment on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 1 minute
- Gradually add sugar 1 Tbsp at a time beating on high speed until mixture form stiff glossy peaks, about 4 minutes.
- Immediately spread over hot pie filling, making sure to spread to edges so the meringue doesn't shrink. Bake about 15-20 minutes until a nice golden colour.
- Cool for an hour on a wire rack then chill for 3-6 hours prior to serving.