Soft Serve Cupcake Recipe-A fun summer peanut butter cupcake that looks like a classic soft serve ice cream
“Soft Serve” Cupcakes
A fun chocolate cupcake with peanut butter Swiss Meringue buttercream that is dipped in chocolate to give it a "Soft Serve" ice cream look.
- 1½ cup sugar
- 1½ cup flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
For Peanut Butter Swiss Meringue buttercream
- 1 portion Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 300 grams dark chocolate
- 2 tsp coconut oil
To make cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Line standard muffin tin with paper liners,
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar, flour cocoa, baking soda, and baking powder. Add buttermilk, oil and warm water and whisk to combine. Add eggs then vanilla whisking until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly in muffins tins, each should only be ⅔ full.
- Bake until cupcake springs bake. roughly 20 mins. Set aside to cool completely
To make peanut butter Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- See instructions for making Swiss Meringue Buttercream.
- Divide buttercream in half. Stir peanut butter into half and place in a pastry bag with no tip. Stir vanilla into other half and place into another pastry bag without a tip.
- Fit a larger pastry bag with a large round tip , then snip the peanut butter and vanilla pastry bag then put them both into the larger pastry bag with tip, this will create the two tone buttercream swirl.
- Squeeze gently until both flavours come out evenly then pipe a swirl onto the cupcake – to look like a soft serve ice cream.
- Chill cupcakes in fridge for at least 45 minutes prior to glaze. It is important for the buttercream to be set and well chilled prior to the glaze, I actually leave it overnight.
- Put chocolate and coconut oil In a heatproof bowl, microwave for one minute. Stir until smooth, return to microwave in short burst if needed to melt more until smooth consistency achieved. Transfer into a tall container and let cool slightly- smooth but not warm.
- Gently dip cupcake into glaze to coat the top. repeat if necessary but make sure to let it drip off upside down to create the ice cream look,
- Return to cupcake to fridge to set, will probably take an hour for the chocolate to harden
Swiss Meringue Buttercream
A special frosting for your beautiful cakes and cupcakes like these "Soft Serve" cupcakes
- 5 large egg white at room temperature
- 1¼ cups white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 500 grams butter at room temperature
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine egg whites, sugar and salt. Set the bowl over simmering water and whisk until sugar has dissolved. Takes 2-3 minutes. You want the mixture to be hot and not feel gritty between your fingers
- Transfer to a stand mixer with whisk attachment. start on low speed and gradually increasing to med/high during the first minute, Beat mixture until stiff glossy peaks form. This will take 7-10 minutes.
- Reduce speed to low/med and gradually add tablespoons of butter. Beating well between each addition. Don't worry if it looks curdled but just keep adding butter, it will become smooth.
- Add vanilla and beat until combined
- At this stage, switch to paddle attachment for 2 minutes to remove air bubbles
- Use immediately, makes about 5 cups