S’mores are the epitome of summer, the classic originated in the States with a big fluffy marshmallows topped with a block of Hershey chocolate sandwiched between two graham crackers. Unfortunately New Zealand doesn’t have these original ingredients but my version consists of chocolate covered digestive cookies, large white marshmallows and thin Whitakers Milk Chocolate. But check out the recipes below for lots of different variations on the theme
- Toasted marshmallow
- Base cookie
- chocolate white , chocolate or anything in between
- Special ingredient eg, candied bacon, pretzel, Nutella etc
- To make the Smore- toast the marshmallow until crispy outside and soft and gooey inside then sandwich between cookies and special ingredients-YUM!
- To candy bacon – Preheat your oven to 180 C and place a rack in the center of the oven. Pour maple syrup over each slice of bacon until all pieces are evenly coated on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until deeply caramelized. Cut up in small crispy pieces to put on marshmallow. Photo credit sharedappetite.com
- To make Berry Jam- Preheat oven to 180 C degrees. In a large bowl, toss together berries, sugar, vanilla and cardamom. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the fruit is soft and tender. Allow to cool. Photo credit sharedappetite.com