Hoisin spare rib sauces a great sauce for spare ribs
Hoisin Spare Rib Sauce
This is a great sauce , it is enough to cover 800 grams of pork spare ribs . We usually end up doubling the recipe – you can never have too much sauce!
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 5 cm ginger cut into matchsticks
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 whole star anise
- 2 garlic cloves ,crushed
- Combine all ingredients in a shallow bowl then marinate spare ribs. Place in fridge for at least an hour to maximize the flavours
- Place marinated ribs in a large baking tray covered with tin foil. and slow cook in 160C oven for 3-4 hours.
- For the first couple hours keep an eye on ribs – as they can dry out, if you find them drying out just add some water.
- Once the ribs look cooked, probably about the third hour uncover the ribs and keep turning over and glazing the ribs with sauce in pan to get an overall caramelized ribs. If needed add more sauce to get desired taste.
- This last step can be done on the BBQ- I find its best to cook the spare ribs in the oven first to ensure cooked completely then transferred to BBQ to get the final glaze on the ribs. Watch carefully and turn often to avoid burning.