Carrot Walnut Bran Muffin
These are a healthy muffin which taste like carrot cake- yummy with no guilt! Baking is starting to shift to healthier options and my recipes will reflect that trend but don't worry they will still be ooey gooey treats which still make you go yum .
- ½ cup brown sugar lightly packed
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup mild sunflower oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups bran
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 2 medium carrots peeled and grated
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Line muffin tins with paper liners
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add Brown sugar and oil, mix well.
- Mix in Bran, cinnamon and ginger. Let the mixture stand for 10 mins.
- Meanwhile , sift together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt
- After 10 mins, add flour mixture to bran mixture alternately with buttermilk, stir well
- Gently fold in orange rind, grated carrot and walnuts.
- Spoon mixture carefully into muffins tins til half full.
- Bake for 15 to 20 mins until skewer inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
If you don’t have buttermilk, see recipe to make. It’s easy