Spinach Phyllo Triangles
A nice appetizer and a great way to use all your home grown garden spinach!
- 3 cups spinach
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 190 grams finely crumbled feta cheese
- ½ tsp oregano
- 24 sheets phyllo sheets
- ½ cup melted butter plus Tbsp of butter
For the filling
- Place butter, spinach, onion and garlic in a saucepan and heat until just wilted. 1-2 mins. Press the mixture with the back of a spoon to remove excess moisture and cool.
- Combine spinach mixture with feta cheese and oregano to make the filling.
- The assembly of these triangles can take a bit of practice, the key is to work relatively quickly and to not overfill them. Watch the video to get an idea of how things come together.
- Start by having everything ready- melted butter, pastry brush, pizza cutter, filling, phyllo and baking tray.
- Put 1 sheet of phyllo down and brush on melted butter. Repeat to make 4 – 5 layers.
- Cut the phyllo into 4 strips with a pizza cutter. Place a spoonful of filling at one end of a phyllo strip. Fold the phyllo to cover the filling and continue to the end of the strip. See Video
- Repeat to create all your triangles. To finish brush top with last of the melted butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake in 180 C oven about 15 mins or until golden. Serve warm
- If you don't want to cook all at once, these freeze well. Just pull them out and cook in hot oven directly from frozen.