The perfect afternoon snack
Banana Bread Recipe
Banana Bread is a yummy afternoon snack which is a great way to use up ripe bananas. This is a slightly healthy option with maple syrup substituting sugar, wholemeal flour and grapeseed oil.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups mashed bananas, the riper the better
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup grapeseed oil
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts or pecans , optional
Streusel Nut Topping- optional
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- ⅓ cups pecans or walnuts
To make Streusel Nut Topping
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and flour then using your fingers or pastry blender cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add nuts if using
- Put aside in fridge until ready to use
To make Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease bottom and sides of a loaf tin or 9 x 5 x 3 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside
- In a medium size bowl combine eggs, banana, maple syrup and oil.
- Add the egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened, the batter is lumpy. Fold in nuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Top with streusel nut topping over batter in pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes depending on pan used. Test by putting a knife into center of bread , its done when it comes out clean. If the topping is getting too dark then cover with foil.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes then remove pan. The streusel topping is loose so can be a bit messy ,take care.