A whoopie pie is a combo cake and sandwich cookie- an American classic but time New Zealanders discovers them : )
3 1/2 cups all purpose flours
1 1/2 unsweetened cococa
1 tbsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
250 g butter
2 cups of sugar
2 cups buttermilk
2 large eggs
2 tsps vanilla extract
- preheat oven to 180 c . to make cookies, line baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs ,buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until well combined. On low speed, slowly add dry ingredients mix until combined.
- Drop 1 1/2 Tbsp of batter onto baking sheetd, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Next make filling
For the filling – 7 minute Frosting
1 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp glucose syrup
1/2 cup water
4 large egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup sugar , glucose syrup and water. Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 230 F
- Meanwhile beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar until peaks are very fluffy and soft.
- when the syrup reaches 230 F, reduce mixer speed and pour syrup down the side of the bowl. Increase speed to med-high and beat until cool-about 7 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until fully incorporated
- The frosting should be shiny and fluffy and hold stiff peaks. use immediately