Whoopie Pie 2
A whoopie pie is a combo cake and sandwich cookie- an American classic but time New Zealanders discovers them
To Make Cookie bases
- 3½ cups flour
- 1½ cups unsweetened cocoa
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250 grams butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- To make cookies, line baking trays with baking paper. Cream butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Beat until well combined. On low speed, slowly add dry ingredients mix until combined. Drop 1 1/2 Tbsp of batter onto baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.
- Bake until set, about 8 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Next make filling
- Next make Seven Minute Frosting and fill between two cookie bases
Seven Minute frosting
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp glucose syrup
- ½ cup water
- 4 large egg whites
- ½ tsp vanilla
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine 1 cup sugar, glucose syrup and water
- Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until candy thermometer reaches 230 F
- Meanwhile beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining extra 1 tsp sugar until peaks are very fluffy and soft.
- When the syrup reaches 230 F, reduce mixer speed and pour syrup down the side of the bowl with the egg whites.
- Increase speed to med-high and beat until cool-about 7 minutes. Add vanilla and beat until fully incorporated
- The frosting should be shiny and fluffy and hold stiff peaks. Use immediately