My twist on the amazing pesto. Classic Genovese pesto uses just basil but baby spinach gives a mild taste and boosts the nutritional value. Have fun and play with the recipe- substitute pine nuts with walnuts or swap out the cheese. It's fun to experiment with the tastes you love.
- ½ cup pine nuts ,toasted
- 1 cup basil , I use a large pot
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 2-3 garlic cloves ,minced
- ½-¾ cups grated parmesan
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Toast pine nuts- warm oven for only 1-2 mins. Be Careful they burn quickly! and I have done it many times. It is worth the effort as toasted nuts really enhances the flavour.
- In a food processor, throw everything in but oil. Cover and blend with oil drizzled in until the desired texture. Add salt to taste. I like it a bit chunky but just keep blending until what you want.
- Enjoy it with cheese and crackers or add to any Italian style sauce. It also freezes well, freeze in tablespoon size balls and just throw it into your spaghetti sauce when cooking.