Quick and easy
Classic Buttermilk Biscuits
Quick and easy buttermilk biscuits which can be great with soups or the base of a strawberry shortcake
- 3½ cups flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 160 grams butter, cut in cubes and chilled
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 210 C. Butter or line a tray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Using 2 knives or hands to cut cubed cold butter in flour mixture until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Slowly add the milk , stirring with fork to get the right consistency. Don't overmix
- Turn the dough onto the a floured surface and gently form into a rough rectangle 2- 3 cm thick.
- Cut using a biscuit cutter, note these biscuits can be frozen at this point. See tips below on how to do.
- Bake the biscuits for 13 -15 mins. They should be golden brown
Tips for freezing- Once the biscuits are cut into shape, freeze them on a baking tray once frozen remove and place in resealable container. To bake, just increase the cooking time by 3-4 mins. inspired the Mad Hungry author Lucina Scala Qiunn thoughts- add herbs, cheese etc