This makes a yummy and impressive dessert. Check out the “How To” video to see the process.
A fun and impressive dessert. The key is to bake in a hot oven and slightly overcook them to make sure they keep there shape.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
- 120 grams butter cut into cubes
- 5 large eggs at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 210C. Prepare Pastry bag
- Place the water and cubed butter in small saucepan. Bring to a boil to melt butter then add flour and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the pan sides. Remove from heat and let cool– this is important because if not cooled it will cook the eggs in the next step.
- Once butter flour mixture is cooled, add 1 egg at a time until dough is smooth and glossy. This takes a couple minutes with lots of beating so be patience and mix in the eggs well.
- Place the smooth dough in the pastry bag then pipe to desired shape on baking paper lined trays.
- Bake in hot oven for 20-25 mins. They will puff up but sometimes seem to take longer than you think. So keep a watch , its better to slightly overcook so they don't collapse when they cool.
- Once cooked, let the puffs cool completely, 1-2 hours then fill with whipped cream and topped with melted chocolate.
The uncooked dough can actually be frozen once piped into shapes for use at a later date. Just freeze them then group in sealed freezer bags to be pulled out another time. Other shapes- profiteroles and eclairs