These are buttermilk bran muffins can be eaten plain or spruced up with banana, blueberries, walnuts or anything that takes your fancy!
Bran Buttermilk Muffins
These bran buttermilk muffins are wholesome and just sweet enough. High in iron and fiber
- ½ cup grapeseed
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- ⅓ cup treacle
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups bran
- 1 cup buckwheat flour or whole wheat
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 C and prepare the muffin tin with paper liners
- In a large bowl whisk together oil, sugar and eggs. Stir in treacle, buttermilk and vanilla.
- In another bowl whisk bran, flours baking powder baking soda and salt.
- Add dry mixture to wet until just combined. Don't worry if its still a bit lumpy.
- Spoon into prepared tins
- Bake for 12-15 mins until top springs back when lightly touched.
- Allow to cool slight before removing from the pan.
- These will last in a tin on the counter for a week or freeze up to 3 months
inspired by Crosby could reduce brown sugar to 1/4 cup variations- add extras such as mashed banana, raisins and toasted walnuts or frozen blueberries