Date Square Recipes- an oatmeal date filled bar which makes a great afternoon tea.
Date Squares Recipe
A lovely afternoon snack with your cup of tea
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 125 grams butter
- 1⅓ cup pitted whole dates finely chopped
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp vanilla
To make date filling
- In a medium saucepan combine dates, water and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to cook. Stir for about 2 minutes until thick paste forms. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and vanilla. Set aside to cool
To make crumb mixture
- In a medium bowl combine flour, rolled oats, brown sugar and baking soda. Using a pastry cutter or your hands cut the butter into the dry mixture until it looks like coarse crumbs.
To form bars
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Divide the base into two portions- ⅔ for base and ⅓ for top.
- Press the bottom crumb mixture into the prepared baking pan.
- Spread date filling on base then sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over top
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden on top. Cool in pan, then cut in bars