Chocolate Devil’ Food Cake
Rich Decadent Cake
- 2 ⅓ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- ⅔ cup Dutch cocoa sifted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1¼ cup hot strong coffee I use decaf but can be substituted with flat cola or stout
- 2 Tbsp rum or brandy optional
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup buttermilk , see note how to make
- ½ cup grapeseed or any mild flavoured oil, eg canola
- Preheat oven to 180 C. Grease pan- I used a loaf tin lined with greased baking paper. Set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar,cocoa powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- In a small bowl stir together coffee and rum-or whatever liquid you are using
- In a separate bowl , whisk together eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the egg mixture and half the coffee to the dry ingredients. Mix with spoon until smooth. Slowly add remaining coffee and totally blende until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared tin and bake until tester comes out clean. time depends on pan but loaf tin was 1 hour.
- Let the cake cool completely, then invert onto a cooling tray. Decorate with Frosting- we used Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
I love this frosting, its like a chocolate cheesecake on your cake!
- 100 gram butter softened
- 500 gram cream cheese
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup cocoa siftened
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Place the butter and cream cheese in a mixer and beat for 6-8 minutes until pale and creamy. Add vanilla. Easiest to do this when both are softened and at room temperature.
- Add the icing sugar and cocoa then beat until light and fluffy
- Using a palette knife spread on cake